Panko Crab Bites
Here’s a tasty little appetizer we tried on Christmas Eve. I liked them, but not as much as everyone else. Maybe because I was doing all the cooking and was just tired of looking at food.
The Aioli sauce is fantastic though. Loved it. I was surprised these were baked and not fried, but I suppose that’s healthier. Mine didn’t brown as nicely as they should have since I didn’t cook them at the correct temperature.
They were supposed to cook at 475 for 15-18 minutes, but I had a ham and stuffing in the oven at 345, so I cooked them at that temperature for about 25 minutes…on the bottom rack. While this didn’t affect the taste, I do believe it affected how they browned.
Also, I think my cakes were just a little larger than what the recipe calls for. I had three men here though, so wee little delicate cakes just weren’t gonna cut it.
Overall, a good (and super easy) little appetizer. I will absolutely be trying this again, and cooking it the correct way to see if it browns better.
Panko Crab Bites
- Crab Bites
- 12 ounces shelled cooked crab
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1/4 cups panko
- Fresh chives, rinsed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- Roasted Pepper-Chive Aioli
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
1. Heat oven to 475. In a large bowl, combine celery, minced chives, mayonnaise, egg, mustard, and hot sauce; mix well with a fork. Add crab and 1/4 cup panko; stir gently just to mix.
2. Place the remaining 1 cup panko in a shallow dish. Shape crab mixture into 24 cakes, each about 2 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick.
3. Place each cake in the panko dish, and coat it on all sides. Place cakes slightly apart on a large greased baking pan.
4. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Using a spatula, transfer crab cakes to a platter. Spoon a dollop of Roasted Pepper-Chive Aioli onto each cake. Garnish with fresh chives.